09 March 2008

My first taste of being thirty!

Well this is it, I finally caught up with the younger generation in deciding to do my own blog.
As you are probably well aware, I am nine months into my 3rd decade. Born 8th June 1977 I'm at the younger end of the 70's babies to finally join the thirtysomething saga. Leg-warmers, My little pony, Rubix cubes and the Atari are now a fond but distant memory and I now find myself talking about ipods, the latest mobile phone, processor speeds and of course my new favourite..... ....blogging.

I dreaded the day I was going to turn thirty, for some reason when you hear someone is in their twenty's they sound young, but the moment you turn thirty, thats it - assuming you live to a rip old age of 90 at thirty you suddenly realise you are at least a third of the way through your life.
A third??? How could I possibly already be a third of the way through, where the hell did the last 30 years go? I blinked and missed them.

When you were a child how many of you remember adults saying to you:

"Enjoy your youth you dont have it very long"
"When I was your age I would never have done that"
"School is the best years of your life, enjoy it while you can"



My immediate reaction was to always sigh and think: You must be bloody kidding, I hate school and I don't care if you never did that and I want to be a grown up" Well I feel now that I wished I had listened to them, and really made better use of my youth, and education, because all to quickly it was gone. 
Don't get me wrong, Im not saying I'm out to pasture just yet, I just know now that I am not as young as I once was. part from the fact I need a dictionary to translate the youth of today's txt language the main giveaway is I now find myself saying to children today all the quotes my parents said to me, however I do smile to myself when I say it.


I did decide to have a do for my 30th, although I actually think it was more of a Bon Voyage to my twenties, Myself and 12 of my closest dearest friends & family went to the Cafe De Paris in London's Leicester Square, and wow what a night it was, quite possibly one of the best nights of my life.

So 9 months in, is it going as badly as I had feared it would? Well actually yes and no.
There have been highs and there have been lows, I entered a new loving relationship, then subsenquently suffered a break-up. I excelled at college and passed my exams, but failed at many a job interview, my weight went up to a massive 201 lbs but after my new years resolution to lose 60lbs, I have so far lost 33lbs.

So all in all my first taste of being 30 has been a bit of a mixed bag of emotions, there are 9 years and 3 months left of my thirties, and I am going to make the most of them.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well done on the weight loss. Being 30 not bad at all. I am in my 30's and got 2 grandkids and you think you got it bad lol. Keep smiling before you know it you will be 40.